05 February 2015

Kid's Clothes Week: February 2015, Days 1-3

Tiny Tunic
It's Kid's Clothes Week again and we're already at Day 4. I did manage to get my hours in for the first three days but didn't manage to do the pictures until today. The above top is one that I sewed up over Tuesday and Wednesday. The pattern is Tiny Tunic Take 2 from iCandy Handmade. Easy to put together, but I think if I make it again, I'll shorten the neck band a little for a closer fit. The top half is from an old t-shirt of mine and the skirt is part of a fat quarter. I lengthened the skirt a bit since E. is apparently skinnier than the 3-6 month old the designer was thinking of but she is starting to get taller. The picture is not spectacular because she is a blur of motion and the light in our entryway wasn't great.

Blackbird Tunic, back view
I made a Blackbird Tunic (from Schwin & Schwin) over Monday and Tuesday. Apparently my inner 70s girl decided it was time to pop out for a visit, and this was the result. The red fabric is something that was in a bag of leftovers from an older woman we know. No idea what she used it for originally. The blue pocket fabric is from the same source, and again, no idea what it was originally for.

Blackbird Tunic, front view
E. was delighted with her brightly coloured top. I trimmed it with rick-rack, being lazy and not wanting to make my own piping, and used a big black button to finish it off. The armholes are bound with white bias binding. It fits her fairly well now and will definitely work over summer. I might make another one in different colours if I feel like it. Since it's still cold, E. was wearing it over a t-shirt and leggings, but I keep feeling like it really needs a pair of bell-bottoms to set it off.

Princess Leia in doll form
And I also finished this off. This was one of E.'s Christmas presents and she's been dragging the poor thing around the house while she was still missing a skirt. So I finally sat down on Monday morning and finished that. J. thinks it's sort of creepy looking, but E. is very happy with the "doh" (she hasn't really figured out codas yet). So we do have a princess doll, but it's Princess Leia, the wonky homemade version. I used this pattern from Simple Simon and Co.

The doll came together okay, but I think next time I might need to adjust my seams or make the body wider at the base, since flipping the doll right-side out through the recommended gap was a exercise in frustration and patience. I'm sure part of it was the fabric I used, which kept stretching out of shape (random thrift store fabric passed on from another friend who was destashing).

I've discovered, when sewing, that I can cut out fabric and patterns while E. is around, since the dresser I do that on is much too tall for her to grab anything off of, but the actual sewing has to wait until she's asleep or when J. is able to watch her. Today the plan is to do some of the cutting work before her nap, and then sew up a couple skirts while she's sleeping. We'll see how it turns out (best-laid plans and all).

1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment and I'll make sure it gets posted as soon as possible. I currently get so few comments that I moderate to avoid spamming.