26 October 2009

trying to find shoes. and jeans. but socks are done!

Sigh. I dropped by the thrift store today because I wanted to find something for my Halloween costume. My husband and I are going as Captain Hammer and Penny, and for Penny, I just figured I could go for the trendy-nerdy-hipster look and I'd be good. And I wanted to get jeans for the outfit. I rummaged through the jeans a bit, and then gave up. I'm between sizes right now. One size is too small, and the next size up is too big, at least in one brand. And I didn't want to try on more pairs because I was tired and wanted to go home. I'll just do the costume with trousers instead of jeans (although my only pair of jeans is getting too big; I tend to wear them at home or while house-cleaning). I buy clothes at the thrift store because I'm more likely to find things I actually like there than at the mall (and I loathe the mall). Also, it's usually cheaper. And I'm recycling clothing. I looked at shoes, too. I should go to an actual shoe store (which, sadly, would entail going to the mall), and see if I can find something. I've got a couple of pairs of practical, nice-looking shoes (brown and black) that I've had for over five years and they are starting to come apart. The problem is that the shoes at thrift stores (some of which are quite nice and barely worn) all seem to have tall, chunky heels, which make me trip and cause my back to hurt. Or if they are flats, they're really flimsy and my feet would get wet every time I wore them in this climate. So I'm unsure as to whether I can actually find what I'm looking for. We shall see. I might go and endure the mall on Thursday.

I finished the Wonderland Socks today, finally. I used up all of the white and probably almost half the skein of the blue. I finished the ribbing at the top in blue because I ran out of white and it seemed absurd to buy an entire skein of yarn to finish 6 rounds of ribbing. They are comfy but slide down more than I'd thought. They're still too big around the ankles, despite the decreases. The pair that's up next is the "Lace and Cable Socks" from Socks From the Toe Up, in Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine. I spent a while struggling with the Turkish cast-on tonight, and I think for now I'm just going to go with what I've been doing for the toes. The Turkish cast-on seems to work better on circs, and I don't have a set small enough.

Well, I'd best be going. I need to sleep soon. Turns out sleeping regularly is really good for me. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment and I'll make sure it gets posted as soon as possible. I currently get so few comments that I moderate to avoid spamming.